School pay policy September 2017
2017 school teachers’ pay and conditions document and guidance (GOV.UK)
The main change to the document and accompanying guidance since 2016 make provision for the September 2017 pay award. The award involves:
- 2% uplift to the minima and maxima of the main pay range
- 1% uplift to be applied to the minima and maxima of all other pay ranges in the national framework (including headteacher groups) and all allowances across all pay ranges.
Teacher pay scales - Ealing default position 1 September 2017 (pdf)
View Ealing teachers pay scales 2017
Guidance for schools on the 2017 pay award (pdf)
Information regarding the pay award and details of the information schools must provide to pay roll regarding implementing the September pay rise.
Pay and appraisal policies
All relevant bodies – both governing bodies and LAs where they are the relevant body, including for all unattached teachers – must have a pay policy.
This should be linked to the appraisal policy.
Pay and appraisal policies should be reviewed annually and kept up to date to take account of any uplift to the national framework and any legal changes or changes in the staffing structure which have an impact on discretionary pay decisions.
Teachers and representatives of recognised unions should always be consulted on formulating the policies and on any changes to them.
Teachers should always have ready access to copies of the school pay policy.
A number of the teaching unions have drafted model pay policies available on their websites to union members:
- NASUWT's pay scales including the 2017 pay uplift to all points on all ranges
- Joint union advice on pay scales for 2017/18 (NAHT website)
- This is the model pay policy suggested by the NAHT:
- NAHT model pay policy (word)
- Reviewing and revising school teachers' pay (GOV.UK)
- DfE guidance on headteacher performance management (GOV.UK)
- Reports of the school teachers review body (GOV.UK)
Covering support staff in your pay policy
Support staff pay policy (pdf)
Whatever pay policy schools choose to adopt should also reflect the pay arrangements for support staff. Included in the policy are model paragraphs schools can choose to include in their pay policy to address this issue.