Supporting pupils with medical conditions at school
20 Nov 2017
A multi-agency working group is currently working on a policy document for Ealing schools, based on the DfE guidance 'Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions at School' (2014). (GOV.UK)
This will include more detailed information about individual healthcare plans, medicines management and training expectations.
This document is expected to be published in spring 2018. If you would like to contribute to this working group, particularly to share examples of good practice, please email Dr Vaishnavee Madden (contact details below).
Statutory requirements for schools
It is important that schools fulfil their statutory duties by making arrangements to support pupils with medical conditions, ensuring:
- All pupils with medical conditions have an individual healthcare plan
- Safe storage, use and disposal of medication - including having processes in place to ensure that medication is in date
- Staff have adequate training to meet the healthcare needs of these pupils, including participating in:
- Medical emergencies sessions provided by the Ealing school nursing service (see related services below for further information)
- First aid training provided by corporate health and safety
- Free online training modules: asthma module (Supporting chilldren's health.org) and anaphylaxis online training for schools (Anaphylaxis.org.uk).
School nursing team (London North West Healthcare NHS Trust) contact details: