Prevent duty - Ealing launches ARISE quality assurance mark for schools
04 Dec 2017
Congratulations to Berrymede Junior and Greenford High School, who were awarded the ARISE quality assurance mark in September, in recognition of their whole school approach in implementing the Prevent duty.
The ARISE (anti radicalisation in schools for Ealing) network, represented by local schools in Ealing, promotes the adoption of best practices, providing recognition for schools that satisfy the criteria, developed in alignment with the Department for Education (DfE)
‘We are thrilled to be awarded the ARISE quality mark, the process has really helped us to understand and develop essential practices across the school in terms of ensuring safety of our school community. The support from Mubina Asaria and the network has been very timely and of a very high calibre, tackling some very sensitive materials in a very professional manner.’
Lubna Khan, Headteacher, Berrymede Junior.
How to qualify
To qualify for the mark, schools must demonstrate the successful provision of comprehensive practice through the recognised framework of steps outlined in the Ealing Prevent toolkit, and assessed by members of the ARISE network. The process involves:
- A school self-assessment – via completion of the Ealing Prevent audit
- Submitting the school’s completed evidence for award
- Peer-assessment and ratification by representatives of the ARISE network.
For further information and an application pack, please contact Mubina Asaria on the contact details below.
The evidence required is outlined in the six steps of the Ealing Prevent toolkit, which provides suggestions based on guidance from DfE and collated best practices, including:
- Organising a Prevent working/safeguarding group to provide appropriate leadership and governance
- Planning and preparing policy and practice to reflect the Prevent duty
- Promoting British values to build pupils' resilience to radicalisation
- Promoting online safety to build critical thinking and manage online risk
- Effective communication to share best practice across the school community
- Review, monitor and evaluate to assess impact of above.