NQT induction quality assurance processes 2018/19
07 Jan 2019
The Local Authority, as the Appropriate Body (AB) is required to quality assure the induction processes provided by schools. At Ealing LA, we sample at least 10% of schools using the criteria below:
- Schools that have not been quality assured in the last three or four years
- Schools with a significant large number of NQTs
- Schools where there are inexperienced induction tutors or NQT induction coordinators/ managers
- Schools identified as causing concern or where the NQTs leave in the middle of their induction
- Schools where there is a new head or acting head/ new management team
- Self-selection (this is requested by the schools themselves and is charged at LA rates).
The Quality Assurance (QA) processes aim to quality assure the induction processes in Ealing schools as well as highlighting examples of effective practice for NQT Induction. Where needed, the AB will also offer support.
The QA takes place throughout the year, but much more frequently during the spring and summer term. Selected schools will receive a letter (3 - 4 weeks in advance) with suggested dates and an outline of the QA process they will be involved.
About the QA
The QA is carried out in the following ways:
- QA visit
- Documentation sampling (includes: NQT questionnaire, QA self evaluation, various evidence/ documents provided by the school on request, telephone conversations with selected NQTs, etc.)
- Monitoring and supporting schools where there are concerns about limited or unsatisfactory progress made by the NQTs between assessment points or issues with induction procedures and capacity
- Monitoring of assessment reports on a termly basis.
At the end of the QA, the school will receive a report highlighting strengths and where needed 'moving forward suggestions'.