Newly qualified teacher (NQT) induction
We are delighted to welcome you to Ealing and to your first teaching post. Congratulations on your appointment and the start of your career in teaching.
Induction at a glance
- All qualified teachers who are employed in a relevant school in England must, by law, have to complete an induction period satisfactorily
- Statutory induction is the bridge between initial teacher training and a career in teaching
- The induction year offers systematic professional and personal support to all newly qualified teachers (NQTs).
Key people involved in NQT induction
- In schools this would be your headteacher / principal, governor, induction tutor / mentor and whole staff
- In Ealing LA the named contact at appropriate body and lead for NQT induction is Mirela Temo.
The appropriate body (AB) has the main quality assurance role within the induction process. The AB responds to requests from schools and colleges for guidance, support and assistance with NQTs’ induction programmes and provides training for induction tutors.
Useful key documentation
NQT induction handbook 2016/17 (updated February 2017) - login*
NQT mentor handbook 2016/17 (pdf) - (updated February 2017) login*
NQT mentor handbook - Templates (word) - login*
Frequently asked questions (updated May 2017) - login*
Teachers standards – summary
Teachers standards – full document
NQT self assessment - tracking document (word)
NQT induction time line - sample (pdf)
Ensuring a reduced time table for NQTs (pd)f login required
Induction appeals procedures
Scotland, Northern Ireland and Welsh teachers
NQT assessment reports guidance (pdf)
NQT assessment sample 1- primary (pdf) - Paragraphs highlight: strengths; areas requiring further development and new targets; evidence.
NQT assessment sample 2 - primary (pdf) - Every standard starts with previous target/s. Evidence is embedded in text. New targets for all/most standards.
NQT assessment sample 1 - secondary (pdf) - Paragraphs highlight: strengths; areas for development; evidence; new targets for all/most standards.
NQT assessment sample 2 - secondary (pdf) - Bullet points highlight: strengths; links made to all standards; evidence is embedded in text; new targets for all/most standards.
NQT assessment grading (pdf)
Training and professional development opportunities
NQT mentor network meetings 2016/17
Summer term: Thursday, 15 June 2017 (Ealing CPD online)
NQT mentor conference - 4 July 2017 (Ealing CPD online)
NQT mentor day July 2016 (training materials)
- Statutory induction - roles and responsiblilties - LA (pdf)
- NQT mentor recruitment - key note (pdf)
- Failing NQT or bad mentoring - key note (pdf)
- New to being a mentor? where to start? (pdf)
- Developing an effective induction programme for NQTs (pdf)
- Mentoring NQTs (pdf)
- Developing a personalised induction prorgamme (pdf)
- NQT presentation (pdf)
- CPD programme for NQTs (pdf)
- NQT induction good practice (pdf)
Ealing Education Centre: for information on training courses call 020 8578 6154 or visit Ealing CPD online.
Contacting the Appropriate Body
Mirela Temo - LA lead for NQT induction
NQT induction procedures, advice, assessments, quality assurance, concerns
Tel: 0208 825 7986 or Mobile: 07957 637 118
Administrative, NQT manager and general queries - Tel: 0208 825 5763
Other useful contacts
NQT manager website technical support. Tel: 08454 686 810
The NCTL website for general enquiries regarding QTS, information on national registration and certificates.
Ealing schools HR - For information on contracts and pay
Tel: 020 8825 8190