Newly qualified teacher (NQT) induction
We are delighted to welcome you to Ealing and to your first teaching post. Congratulations on your appointment and the start of your career in teaching.
Induction at a glance
- All qualified teachers who are employed in a relevant school in England must, by law, have to complete an induction period satisfactorily
- Statutory induction is the bridge between initial teacher training and a career in teaching
- The induction year offers systematic professional and personal support to all newly qualified teachers (NQTs).
Key people involved in NQT induction
- In schools this would be your headteacher / principal, governor, induction tutor / mentor and whole staff
- In Ealing LA the named contact at appropriate body and lead for NQT induction is Mirela Temo.
The appropriate body (AB) has the main quality assurance role within the induction process. The AB responds to requests from schools and colleges for guidance, support and assistance with NQTs’ induction programmes and provides training for induction tutors.
Contacting the Appropriate Body
Mirela Temo - LA lead for NQT induction
NQT induction procedures, advice, assessments, quality assurance, concerns
Tel: 0208 825 7986 or Mobile: 07957 637 118
Administrative, NQT manager and general queries - Tel: 020 8825 5763
Useful key documentation
Statutory guidance on induction for NQTs (December 2016) (GOV.UK website)
September cohort must be done before 18 October 2017.
Reports / Assessments:
- Term 1 – 10 December 2017
- Term 2 – 19 March 2018
- Term 3 – 15 July 2018.
For more information: NQT induction and assessment dates 2017/18 (pdf)
The following documents are available on the NQT Manager website (under Resources tab). You will need to login with your NQT Manager user account to access them:
- NQT induction handbook 2017/18
- NQT mentors handbook 2017/18
- NQT mentor handbook - Templates
- Frequently asked questions.
NQT assessment guidance
- NQT assessment reports guidance
- NQT assessment grading
- Two examples of NQT assessment reports (primary)
- Two examples of NQT assessment reports (secondary).
Training and professional development opportunities
Newly qualified teachers events 2017/18 (pdf)
View information on NQT welcome event, NQT welcome session, NQT mentor conference and NQT mentor network events. Booking can be made via CPD online.
Other useful contacts
NQT manager website technical support. Tel: 08454 686 810
The NCTL website for general enquiries regarding QTS, information on national registration and certificates.
Ealing schools HR - For information on contracts and pay. Tel: 020 8825 8190