DBS checks for governors
From 18 March 2016, governors are now required to apply for an enhanced DBS (disclosure and barring service) check. The Government regulations specifically state:
- By 1 September 2016, all maintained school governing bodies to apply for an enhanced criminal records certificate for any serving governor who does not have one; and
- From 1 April 2016, all newly appointed/elected governors or associate members will ideally need to be checked as part of the recruitment process, or at the latest have applied for a check within 21 days of appointment (start of term of office).
- All current governors must have a DBS check otherwise they are disqualified from being a governor
- All newly appointed/elected governors or associate members will need to be checked as part of the recruitment process. Checks must be completed within 21 days of appointment or election
- Remember also, to record in your single central record.
Academies and free schools
Although the new legislation is for maintained schools, academy and free school governors must have a DBS check also. The chair’s check has to be done via the DfE – for more details see page three of DBS guide for academies (GOV.UK website).
Further information and contact
See related content for more detailed information or contact: