SEND bulletin 20 October
Dear Leaders of SEN and Inclusion,
Welcome to our third issue of the SEN bulletin. It has been great to see so many of you in the networks and workshops that have taken place so far this half term. I look forward to meeting more of you over the next few weeks
Quality and Partnership Lead SEN and Inclusion
Training sessions are free and must be booked via Ealing CPD Online. Spaces are limited. For queries, please contact the family information service on 020 8825 5588 or EHAP@ealing.gov.uk. Select the date to view event inormation and to book:
Travel training announcement
Ealing Council is offering a new travel training programme in partnership with Essex County Council. The training not only allows young people to get to their place of learning independently, but also enhances their social life and ability to access further education and employment as they get older. You can now self-refer to travel training by filling out a new form online. To find out more about travel training, such as eligibility and where to apply, please see the Independent Travel Training Section.
Please kindly share with YP, families and your teams/networks.
Part time SENDCo needed Stanhope Primary School
We are looking to appoint a part time SENCO to cover maternity leave at Stanhope Primary School, from December 2021 either through a secondment or a fixed term contract. The successful candidate will have a real passion for securing excellent outcomes for the SEND students through highly effective management and leadership.
At Stanhope there is a strong emphasis on sustaining and raising achievement in creative, innovative ways and there is a genuine commitment to collaboration and professional development. Stanhope is a values driven educational establishment which underpins all areas of school life.
Please contact Natalia Martinez for further information by email firstname.lastname@example.org
The SEND portal team would like to invite SENCOs, inclusions leads and nursery leads to complete a 3–5-minute survey, to help improve the SEND Portal. All feedback will be kept anonymous. Do provide feedback by 25 November.
Summary of key dates for SEND assessments, submission deadlines, requests for EHC needs assessments and information on high school transfers.
SEND training and networks for school governors
Attached is a list of all SEND training and networks for school’s governors. Select event for an overview, dates, times. Please book a place via Ealing CPD Online.
- Strategic SEND workshop event - changes all governors need to know about, implications for your school and how to plan Thursday 14 October 2021 12-3.30pm
- SEND for governors - overview of governors’ role (part 1) Tuesday 23 November 2021 6-7.30pm
- SEND for governors - overview of governors’ role (part 2) Tuesday 7 December 2021 6-7.30pm
- Strategic SEND workshop follow up (from 14 Oct) surgery session Thursday 27 January 2022 12-1.30pm
- Springhallow outreach autism conference 2022 Friday 11 February 2022 9am to 3pm
- Joint SENCO and send governor ELP network - send funding and use of resources for governors Thursday 24 February 2022 4-5.30pm
- Understanding pupils with autism and social communication difficulties - what governors need to know Monday 25 April 2022 6-8pm
- Joint SENCO and send governor ELP network - whole school send – auditing & monitoring send Tuesday 10 May 2022 4-5.30pm
Ealing's educational psychology service will be running the nationally recognised ESLA Project this academic year - training to start in the Spring term.
This session will cover a multi-sensory approach in your teaching and different techniques that can easily be implemented into classroom learning. The course structure will be as follows:
- An interactive session, where you will get the opportunity to take part in a variety of sensory games / activities
- Experience what it is like to walk in the footsteps of a person who has sensory difficulties in order to understand how a multi-sensory approach can support a pupil’s ability to learn
- An understanding of how the different senses can have an impact on a child’s learning
- Strategies that can be used to support multi-sensory approaches within the classroom
- A variety of resources that support multi-sensory learning
- Inspired and ready to implement some multi-sensory approaches in your own setting
Date and time Thursday 18 November 2021, 3 - 4.30 pm
Cost £60 per person
Annual review: Social care contribution
SENCOs, please ensure that all annual reviews for children with medical needs include advice from the relevant health professionals.
Schools can request social care advice for any child with a social worker or where social care advice is needed. If they are not sure who the social worker is then they can email at Premvanti Sanghani at email@example.com for advice.
Please make your request at least 6 weeks before the date of the annual review meeting.
- Madhu Bhachu, Inclusion: BhachuM@ealing.gov.uk020 8825 5958