SEND bulletin 5 May
Madhu Bhachu, ELP quality and partnership lead SEN and inclusion is very pleased to announce the launch of the SENCo consultation line, SENDline.
Bite-size videos for parents and practitioners, aimed at supporting children with and without additional needs
Ealing speech and language therapy team have launched bite-size videos for parents and practitioners, aimed at supporting children with and without additional needs. Our bite-size videos include:
- How to help your child learn emotions words - YouTube
- How to help your child manage their emotions - YouTube
- How to help primary school-aged children learn new words - YouTube
- How to help your child revise words they have learned - YouTube
Support and SEND services for parents
Ealing’s Family information Service, supported by the Holiday & Activities Food (HAF) programme are delighted to bring to you this Guide to Family Support Services (Spring 2022) | Ealing Directory (ealingfamiliesdirectory.org.uk)
This Support and services leaflet signposts parents to all the key services and support available in Ealing. You can share this with parents via your website, during 1:1 conversations, keep a few copies in your welcome area.
Ealing speech and language therapy team are running a stammering training session for schools via Zoom
Date and time: Wednesday 15 June 2022 at 3.45-5pm
- Discuss the background and risk factors for stammering
- Discuss the impact of stammering
- Explain our aims of therapy
- Signpost you to other helpful resources
- Give you a toolbox of strategies to use at school
All staff are welcome to attend. To book, email email@example.com
The SEND review green paper has been published. The ISEND Research Cluster Symposium are inviting schools to attend a session on the proposals set out in the green paper.
10 May at 3.30-5pm
Book your free place on the Event - The SEND Review - Summary and reflections on the green paper (10.5.22) (office.com)
- Here is the full report SEND review: right support, right place, right time - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Here is the consultation: Summary of the SEND review: right support, right place, right time
- Here is the link you can share with parents: https://sendreview.campaign.gov.uk/
19 May – 1pm to 2.30pm
This is an opportunity for behaviour leads to come together to problem solve and share good practice.
Book via Ealing CPD online: Primary behaviour leads network
Friday 20 May, 10 – 11am
We will discuss how inclusion fits within the Ofsted inspection framework – the key things you need to know and consider. We will share:
- experiences from schools who have been recently inspected.
- Ofsted’s expectations and provide an opportunity for you to reflect on how your school ensures that ‘Inclusion is everyone’s business’.
Book via Ealing CPD online: Ofsted and Inclusion
Thursday 26 May at Trailfinders
This is a day for us to come together as a team of advocates for children and young people with additional needs. We will create space to stop, reflect and consider what inclusion means to us. We will work together to create a vision for the future of inclusion in your own school and as part of Ealing Learning Partnership.
Booking via Ealing CPD online SENCo Conference
8 June at the EEC – 1-4pm
Review the stock take findings, plan our next steps, and celebrate good practice. Sally King will share the descriptors of need work that has been carried out with Special schools and discuss how we can move forward with this work with ARPs. Headteachers are invited to attend the session too.
Book via Ealing CPD online: ARP Leaders Network
10 June at 10am to 11am
Share keys points about Inclusion from an Ofsted perspective. We will:
- clarify your role in ensuring good inclusive provision is in place in your school
- consider how you work with your SENCo and teachers for every child to access the curriculum and how you ensure that parents are fully supported
- highlight the key messages from the SEN review and discuss what this means for leaders of learning.
Book via Ealing CPD online: DHT –your role in developing inclusive practice
16 June – EEC – 2–4pm
This will be a joint session with ESCAN leads. We will share challenges, problem solve and share what works well in a joint school and LA workshop. This is an opportunity to get involved in shaping the way we work together moving forward.
Book via Ealing CPD online: Primary SENDCo Network – Summer 2
20 June – 11am – 12pm
A few schools have been exploring alternative models to support children with additional needs, I am keen to understand these models better. Some of you have separate classes that the children access all day others have smaller group sessions throughout the day and there are various other models. I would like to come together to discuss what you have tried, what has worked, what the challenges have been.
Book via Ealing CPD online: Schools exploring alternative models
16 May at 2–3.30pm
We will discuss the key principles of effective transition, from a pupil, parent and school lens.
We will share good practice, consider how to overcome challenges, and provide a space for you to reflect on your current systems and think about how they can be improved for your new Year 7 cohort.
Book via Ealing CPD online: Year 7 leaders – preparing for successful transition
15 June at 11.30am – 1pm – virtual
How does your website promote and celebrate inclusive provision? What information needs to be accessible to parents via your school website. You will have time to look at good models and reflect on your own local offer.
Book via Ealing CPD online: Evaluating your school website
Teaching positive behaviour management strategies
Tailored training solutions teaching positive behaviour management strategies emphasising de-escalation and positive handling in conflict management 9am – 4pm. Bookings available on the following days.
- 7 June for EYFS schools
- 8 June for primary schools
- 20 June high schools
- 21 June for EYFS schools
- 22 June for primary schools
Date: Thursday 19 May 2022
Time: 9.30am 12.30pm, lunch included
Venue: Ealing Education Centre, Greenford
This half day training at the EEC will give 2 members of school staff the information, knowledge, skills and resources to deliver a 1.5 hour INSET that aims to explore:
Aims of the training:
- To consider what current relationships between staff and parents and carers of children with SEND are like and how this impacts our interactions
- To build a common understanding of what positive relationships between staff and parents looks like
- To identify barriers to positive communication and relationships
- To identify changes to individuals and school practice and plan how to put them into action
- To practice steps for positive conversations
Thursday teacher twilight sessions – supporting children with additional needs
Short bite size sessions on Thursdays from 3.45–4.45pm. If this model is successful, I will investigate making a broader plan for next academic year.
- Supporting sensory needs 19 May at 3.45–4.45pm
- Supporting pupils’ self esteem to improve learning outcomes 9 June at3.45–4.45pm
- Colourful semantics 23 June at 3.45 – 4.45pm
Parent and Young person’s portal SENCO training
SENCos and inclusion Managers - are you preparing to submit ERSAs this term?
Join us for an introduction to the new parent and young person’s portal SENCO training session (via Teams) on Wednesday 18 May at 12-12.45 (45 minutes).
In the training you will receive:
- A demonstration of the Parent and Young Persons EHC Portal
- Overview and checklist of changes for SENCos in the ERSA process in Gateway
- Guidance on signposting Parents to the portal
For more information and to join the training please email EalingEducationICT@ealing.gov.uk
Read about the upcoming paediatric OT training:
- Toileting strategies – Q&A joint with Bladder and Bowel Management Nurse
- Attention and Participation – Repeated from Autumn Term 7th June at 3.30pm and 9th June 3.45pm.
- Transition to Secondary School – Joint with Speech and Language Therapy and OT
LGFL provide a range of free resources to London schools which focus on supporting children with additional needs. I would like to sign post you to a few in particular:
You can access these resources at Inclusion - London Grid for Learning (lgfl.net)
- Madhu Bhachu, Inclusion: BhachuM@ealing.gov.uk020 8825 5958