Safeguarding training for schools overview 2022/23
This service is available for Academies, Maintained schools and Other schools and settings
Ealing supports schools with meeting their safeguarding and child protection responsibilities by:
- Providing guidance and advice
- Offering training
- Hosting and promoting training offered by independent providers
- Providing a once a term DSL network
- Signposting schools to providers of whole school safeguarding training and reviews
Ealing offers a range of school safeguarding training relevant to the local context.
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Statutory training requirements are detailed in the DfE guidance document Keeping children safe in schools and colleges.
In brief the guidance says that:
- Whole school staff training is required to be an on-going process with at least one formal training every year (at least every two years to be delivered by external providers)
- Designated lead teachers for child protection are required to have initial training and refresher training at least every two years
- Designated lead teachers are required additionally to have regular updates ie safeguarding prevention briefings etcetera
- All staff appointment panels must have at least one member who has successfully attended the DfE approved safer recruitment course.
There is no longer a requirement to train governing bodies. However, training does support the governing body to meet its statutory duties in the guidance.
Below is a list of useful documents and links in relation to training and events:
- External contacts for whole school safeguarding training and audits* (pdf) TBC
- Ealing CPD online for available events.
- ESCB multi-agency training (Ealing CPD online)
Training is provided by various contacts (see attachments under more detailed information).