School governance development 2017/18
This service is available for Maintained schools, Academies and Other schools and settings
Support for governing boards and clerks.
We provide information, guidance and support to all governors and clerks on both local and national priorities and issues.
Chairs briefings and clerks network meetings (termly).
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Developments subject to changes by government to statute/policy and local priorities or as directed by schools forum funding eg changes to statutory policies, changes to governing board composition.
Governance development – statutory duties
- Make the Instrument of Government (IoG)
- Nominate local authority governors
- Run or provide information on essential central training and information for schools
- Appoint parent governor representatives (committee services)
- Set up temporary governing boards for new maintained schools
- Maintenance of governor/clerks membership database
- Monitoring governor changes and vacancies
- Telephone and email advice telephone/email on procedural issues only
- Support governing boards of schools at risk or in a category.
Governance development (for maintained schools in addition to statutory duties)
- Guidance, templates and frameworks to support governance/clerking issues
- Guidance when recruiting/appointing new governors and clerks
- Production of directors’ report to governors and newsletter (bi-annual)
- Telephone and email advice
- Maintaining an up-to-date and relevant governors’ section on this website - see related content (below)
- Commission and deliver training sessions specific to governors and clerks – both central training and bespoke*
- Ealing leaders of governance (governor to governor support)
- Clerks network and chairs briefing meetings (termly)* .
*Bespoke work with governing boards can be accessed via the school improvement (collaboration agreement) buy back brokered with link officers. Alternatively schools can buy bespoke support from recommended experts, which the governance development team can advise on.
School effectiveness, children and adults’ services.
- Therese McNulty, School workforce and governance development: firstname.lastname@example.org 8825 8542
Telephone: 020 8825 5444