School travel plans 2018/19
This service is available for Academies, Maintained schools and Other schools and settings
School travel plans deliver transport strategy that encourages participation in initiatives and campaigns, including active travel and road safety education.
They help schools plan, promote and monitor active, responsible and safe travel for the school journey to reduce car use and congestion and improve air quality, health and well-being.
The main aim of the school travel team is to support schools to reduce car use and increase sustainable modes of travel for the school journey, leading to reduced congestion, improvements in air quality and the health and well-being of the Ealing community.
This is achieved through the delivery of a wide range of projects, provision of training and road safety engineering.
- Reduce congestion by encouraging people to leave their cars at home and travel to school by more sustainable means
- Improving the local environment by reducing carbon emissions and improving air quality
- Improve community links working together towards the common goal of making the journey to school a safer and healthier one
- Reduce obesity by being active on the school journey
- More alert children by increasing children's exercise in the morning helps them be more alert and ready to learn when they arrive at school
- Increase pupil’s sense of road safety through road safety training programmes and participation in sustainable travel
- Increase pupil participation encouraging them to take part and take responsibility for road safety within the school
- It’s fun! Surveys show that children want to travel by sustainable means. Cycling, walking or scootering are fun ways of travelling to school!
|Monday to Friday||8.30am to 5pm|
- Increased levels of walking and cycling to/from schools to improve pupil health/reduce congestion through competitions, challenges and incentive schemes
- Resources to support schools in tackling school related congestion, parking problems and road safety issues
- More schools receiving and maintaining school travel plan accreditation (STARS) through a small grant scheme.
To encourage Ealing schools to get involved in the school travel plan initiative we:
- Support schools to develop and implement a school travel plan, which outlines their commitment to improving sustainable travel options within their area
- Provide schools with resources to encourage students and staff to use safer, healthier and environmentally friendly ways to get to and from school
- Assist schools to improve sustainable transport and road safety within their local areas working closely with other services to promote healthy lifestyles and bring about behavioural change, which meets the requirements of Every Child Matters.
Through the school travel plan programme, we work with schools to identify student's issues related to travel and propose different routes and methods to get to school.
We support schools in identifying and implementing useful sustainability and road safety initiatives plus necessary engineering works in the vicinity of the school.
The range of initiatives and activities offered to schools include:
- Workshops to develop robust school travel plans
- Theatre in education
- Bikeability-cycle training
- Active travel incentive schemes such as Walk Once a Week
- Bike clubs, road safety materials, junior and youth travel ambassadors scheme, cycle shelters, competitions and prizes.
Transport projects and policy, regeneration and housing.
- Nicky Batkin, School travel plans: BatkinN@ealing.gov.uk0208 825 9648