Early years assessment
EYFS progress check at age two example (word) - If at any point throughout the EYFS significant emerging concerns are identified an EHAP should be initiated.
Monitoring children's progress and outcomes
These tools can be used from birth to five to track and provide gap analyses of children's progress for individual, whole group and specific groups:
Early years foundation stage profile (EYFSP)
Schools must complete the EYFSP for reception pupils and report results to the local authority by Friday, 29 June 2018
- A continued commitment to the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework, with the 7 areas of learning and development remaining the same
- The Early Years Foundation Stage Profile (EYFSP) will remain in place with improvements in key areas
- Clarification and refinement of the descriptors underpinning the 17 Early Learning Goals (ELGs), to further align with key stage 1 and to ensure all descriptors are focused on the right age appropriate outcomes
- Consideration will be given to reducing the number of ELGs that are assessed and nationally collected
- Retain the existing assessment scales, with consideration given to introducing an additional band within the ‘emerging’ scale to accurately reflect the attainment and progress of all children, and to help identify where young children may require additional support as early as possible
- Improved supporting guidance for the EYFSP and the moderation process
EYFSP outcomes for 2016/17 have been published (GOV.UK)
EYFS Profile Handbook 2018 (GOV.UK)
This handbook supports practitioners in making accurate judgements about each child's attainment
EYFSP ARA 2018 (GOV.UK)
Details the statutory requirements for the EYFS profile assessment and reporting for 2017/18.
Early years foundation stage profile exemplification materials (GOV.UK)
The materials may be referred to if guidance is required for the levels of learning and development expected at the end of the EYFS.
Resources to support EYFSP moderation:
- Article - defining a good level of development (word)
- Article - working effectively with parents to enable children to reach good levels of development (word)
- EYFSP moderation process prompts (word)