Leadership and management - early years
30hr childcare entitlement
In June 2015, the government introduced the Childcare Bill to bring in 30 hours of free childcare for employed families of 3 and 4 year olds. Read more about the 30 hours childcare programme being rolled out in September 2017.
Early help assessment and plan formerly CAF (Ealing Council website)
Ensure your setting obtains an EHAP pack and threshold document. Ensure attendance at EHAP introductory training. If at any point throughout the early years foundation stage (EYFS) significant emerging concerns are identified an EHAP should be initiated.
Ealing Children and Families Directory - family information, advice and guidance
Early years pupil premium
The early years pupil premium (GOV.UK website) is additional funding for early years settings to improve the education they provide for disadvantaged 3- and 4-year-olds.
- Parent/carer declaration form and agreement for early education and early years pupil premium (word)
- Privacy notice template for children in early years settings (word)
Monitoring and self evaluation
- Why self-evaluate? (pdf)
- EYFS self-evaluation form and guidance (GOV.UK website)
- Judging the quality of teaching and learning (pdf)
- Supporting all children’s communication development Ealing quality indicators (pdf)
- Safeguarding and welfare requirements EYFS September 2014 audit tool (word)
Ofsted inspection framework from 1 September 2015
- Ofsted common inspection framework for early years, maintained schools, academies, independent schools and further education (GOV.UK)
- Early years inspection handbook (GOV.uk website)
- School inspection handbook (GOV.uk website)
- Non-association independent school inspection handbook (GOV.uk website)
- Inspecting safeguarding in early years, education and skills from September 2015
- Inspecting children's centres framework updated 5th March 2015 (GOV.uk website)
Good practice guidance
Ofsted: RIGHT from the start early years good practice films (YouTube website)
Example improvement plan (word)
Ealing early years consultant newsletters (pdfs)
- Autumn 2017
- Summer 2017
- Spring 2017
- Autumn 2016
- Spring 2016
- Updated early years publications and guidance
- Ofsted news (GOV.UK website)
- Foundation years website
Watch Foundation years website podcasts for updates on Department for Education policy development, changes to Ofsted inspections, SEND reforms and improving early years education
Department for Education - sign up to email alerts (GOV.UK)
Ealing networks and briefing
Keep informed of important updates and take part in discussions and reflections by being part of your local networks and attending briefing sessions, details on Ealing CPD online
- EYFS leaders briefings
- PVI managers network briefings
- Childminder network briefings
- SEND network meetings.
Early years qualifications
Early years qualification list (GOV.UK website)
The early years qualifications list provides guidance and a search tool to help those delivering the EYFS to identify qualifications that are considered to be full and relevant at levels 2 and 3
Early years teacher's standards (GOV.UK website)
Early years teacher status is awarded to graduates who are leading education and care and who have been judged to have met all of the standards in practice from birth to the end of the early years foundation stage ( EYFS). This document outlines what standards early years teachers must reach. It also provides the statutory assessment guidance.
For further information on teachers standards (foundation stage +) please visit teacher standards on EGfL (see related content link below).