How schools can inform close contacts of a confirmed COVID-19 case
Schools should follow the process below if writing to close contacts of a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Confirm that the child or staff member has tested positive for COVID-19
- Was the child or staff member at school during the infectious period.
- 48 hours prior to symptom onset to 10 days after symptom onset.
- Who has had ‘close contact’ with the ‘possible’ case of COVID-19 during the infectious period
- Direct face to face contact with a case for any length of time, including being coughed, talked to, skin-to-skin physical contact.
This will include exposure within 1 meter for 1 minute or longer.
- Extended close contact within 2 metres for more than 15 minutes.
- Travelled in a vehicle with the case
Advise parents of a confirmed case of COVID-19
Public Health England (PHE) recommend that a letter is sent to parents where there has been a confirmed case of COVID-19. Here is the suggested letter template to send to parents when there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 (see download section below).