Project opportunity: Building resilience to extremism through enquiry (BREE)
18 May 2022
I am writing to recommend to you an exciting opportunity for your school to take part in the fully funded project “Building resilience to extremism through enquiry (BREE)” project, starting in September 2022.
The project combines the philosophy for children (P4C) dialogue and enquiry methodology with a specifically designed teaching and learning resource to build pupils’ understanding and critical thinking about extremism and terrorism.
Benefits for schools
The benefits for schools taking part in the project include:
- A DfE endorsed approach to meet the Prevent duty and OFSTED safeguarding requirements
- Specialist training in the P4C approach and the BREE teaching and learning resource
- Bespoke coaching support with classroom implementation
- 12 fully resourced lesson plans
- £300 per school contribution to supply cover to release teachers on training
- Joining a project which has been funded over the last two academic years by the Mayor of London Shared Endeavour fund (SEF), highly evaluated by participating teachers and pupils.
“This is the most effective teaching that I have seen on radicalisation because it engages the students’ critical thinking” Prevent lead Tower Hamlet’s primary.
The project is for year five/ six class teachers and KS3 teachers of citizenship/ PSHE, English and RE
The Manorfield Charitable Trust, the project providers, are now seeking a third round of SEF funding following a recommendation to apply by the Mayor of London Countering Violent Extremism Programme team. The expectation is that funding decisions will be made in time for projects to commence in September 2022 and run to the end of March 2023.
I also attach the project outline document which provides more information about the project.
Schools wishing to take part in the project can make a commitment in principle by contacting Anisa Syed on the contact details below by Friday, June 10.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss the project proposal with me.