Headteachers’ scarlet fever pack
18 Jan 2024
There has been a general increase in the number of scarlet fever cases (and other Strep A infections) in the community. In some childcare or educational settings, this increase is coupled with cases of chickenpox, flu and other viral illnesses.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has updated the London headteachers’ scarlet fever pack, which includes parent template letters and a fact sheet for schools and parents (see downloads).
This pack has been produced to assist educational settings and sets out actions you can take to stop the spread of infection, should you begin to see new cases of scarlet fever in your school or setting. It includes the following:
- when to notify your Health Protection Team (HPT)
- action card - Prompts for consideration, including infection prevention and control
- self-assessment checklist and flow chart
- further information/resources
- template letters for different scenarios
- fact sheet for schools and parents about Group A Streptococcus (GAS) and scarlet fever.