Early years foundation stage reforms September 2021
07 May 2021
The aim is to strengthen early years curriculum, assessment and practice to improve outcomes for all children and close the gap for disadvantaged children.
Revised framework and supporting documents
The revised statutory framework is to be implemented from September 2021: Statutory guidance: Early years foundation stage (EYFS) statutory framework (GOV.UK)
Non statutory supporting documents are available for schools to choose from, these are two examples of publications available:
- Birth to 5 Matters: Non-statutory guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Development matters: Non-statutory curriculum guidance for the early years foundation stage.
Summary of other key changes
- More depth has been added to educational programmes
- Focus on early language and communication
- 7 areas of learning continue but the content is different
- Emphasis on curriculum development
- 'Shape, space and measures’ has been removed as an Early Learning Goal (ELG) but IS in educational programme and should be taught as part of the curriculum
- Early Learning Goal’s are now clearer and more specific
- New ELG ‘self-regulation’ and ‘self-care’ has now moved to Personal Social and Emotional Development
- ELG’s NOT to be used as a curriculum, they are expected levels of development that children should be able to attain by end of reception
- Each ELG should be seen as a holistic statement not used as a tick list
- Oral health included in Health section of Safeguarding within the statutory document
- From September 2021 Paediatric First Aid training must be face to face in its entirety
- Exceeding’ judgement removed so children are either ‘emerging’ or ‘expected.’
- External moderation removed in order to reduce teacher/practitioner workload but LA is still required to provide assessment training for schools that need it
- Practitioners are NOT required to collect unnecessary evidence
- EYFSP not to be used as accountability measure for schools or teachers
- LA still have responsibility to collect and quality assure EYFSP data.
Foundation Years vodcast
A vodcast has been made available aimed at headteachers, senior leadership and governors and includes presentations from DfE and Ofsted.