Ealing special school nursing service 2020/21
This service is available for Maintained schools
The Ealing special school nursing service (SSN) provides specialist advice and support to school-aged children and young people.
This is a nurse-led team that aims to provide safe, evidence based healthcare services to children and young people attending one of the six local authority special schools across Ealing.
Health, education and children’s services professionals are co-located in Ealing to enable us to provide a more co-ordinated and integrated service to children and families.
The team uses multi-disciplinary approach liaising with other agencies and professional groups to meet the child’s/young person’s individual needs.
The special school team is made up of 6 school nurses and 6 healthcare assistants supporting the health needs of pupils during the day at school.
- Children and young people aged between 2½ - 19 who is attending the 6 special schools in Ealing
- Our team supports on their complex health needs and other related issues such as Signposting to support services such as child and adolescent mental health services, continence service and dietician
- Supports with children’s transitions through the child/young person’s school years
- Provides telephone advice and support to families.
- Training for education staff
- Safeguarding children
- Provides advice on health condition such as epilepsy, asthma, diabetes, allergies, gastrostomy care, oxygen therapy and tracheostomy care for children to enable access to education
Monday to Friday, 08:30am to 4.30pm (School term time only)
Ongoing process of continued service improvement.
We will be working together with ESCAN (Ealing Services for Children with Additional Needs (ESCAN).)This is a joint initiative between Ealing Community Partners and Ealing council to join up services for children and young people with disabilities.
Who is the service for?
Children and young people aged between 2½ - 19 years with special needs including those with learning disabilities associated additional health needs and/or complex health needs attending a one of these local authority school in Ealing.
The special school team is made up of 6 school nurses and 6 healthcare assistants supporting the health needs of pupils during the day at school. Our priorities are ensuring the daily nursing care needs of pupils are met through healthcare plans, developed working in partnership with children, parents, carers, teachers and other health professionals to enable children to access education.
- Tel: 0208 967 5694
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mobile: 07548 142624
- Bianca Postelmans, Ealing community matron, Paediatrics service
- Veronica Pandey, Clinical team lead, Special school nursing team