Pyramid club 2023/24
This service is available for Academies, Maintained schools and Other schools and settings
Pyramid clubs, a UK-developed intervention operating in Ealing since 1997, offers an evidence-based early intervention for quiet, shy, withdrawn, anxious children and those showing early signs of mental health problems who are unlikely to meet CAMHS thresholds. As a group intervention it is particularly effective for children who struggle socially.
Children and young people who attend the ten week Pyramid club show:
- Improved attainment and attendance
- Higher self-esteem
- Stronger relationships with peers and adults
- Better engagement with their own learning and participation in class
- More resilience and the ability to deal with their own difficulties
- Improved strategies for managing their thoughts and feelings, including asking for help when it is needed.
Pyramid clubs have been validated by the Early Intervention Foundation and appear in their Guidebook of recommended social and emotional learning interventions. The clubs are also recommended by the Anna Freud Centre Mentally Healthy Schools website.
Psychology and education students from the University of West London can be trained, vetted and supported by the University to run the clubs, providing additional specialist support for the school as well as a fresh set of faces for the children. Alternatively, school staff can be trained and supported to run clubs.
Training and support for schools to deliver Pyramid clubs
- CPD for support staff that has wider applicability
- Allows delivery of an evidence-based early intervention programme
- Flexibility in timing and delivery of clubs by using school’s own staff
- Option to receive supplementary support from student volunteers at the University of West London.
Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.
- Pyramid club materials and training are regularly updated to promote best practice.
- Resources, including a workshop and booklet, have been developed to help parents continue the work at home
See the attached document for more information about how Pyramid clubs operate in Ealing.
Pyramid project, department of research and enterprise, University of West London
- Bronach Hughes: firstname.lastname@example.org 853561