School governance development 2023/24
This service is available for Academies and Maintained schools
We provide a complete support, advice and continuing professional development (CPD) service for governors, trustees, associate members and clerks from all school settings. Select image to view brochure (log in required).
We provide advice, guidance and a range of templates/ tools to empower governors, trustees and clerks to fulfil their statutory duties effectively. We do this by working with boards to review and challenge current practice, identify and implement solutions that best suit their needs to improve the effectiveness of leadership and management and promote school improvement.
External review of governance
An external review of governance will take approx. three days. Boards may wish to review governance because of an Ofsted inspection or as part of their self-evaluation process to identify best practice and areas for development. If there is any additional follow up, to review progress or provide training this is an additional cost.
Safeguarding and pupil premium reviews can also be purchased as part of ELPs school improvement–prices on application.
Governance bespoke training / support
Cost includes preparation and delivery for up to a two-hour session. Popular sessions have included:
- Preparing for Ofsted
- The role of the governing board / committees
- Ensuring accountability incl. monitoring and the use of visits
- Understanding data / understanding finance
- Review of governing board papers and structures / ways the board functions
- Bespoke support for new chairs / clerks.
Governance central training
For 2023/24 this will remain as part of the CPD buy back provision www.ealingcpd.org.uk
Schools that subscribe to Ealing Learning Partnership (ELP) will receive:
- Online, telephone and email advice/ support governance issues
- Regular governance communications including half termly Directors’ Gatekeeping Report to governors / trustees, communicating local and national educational items for information and action
- Dedicated governance /clerk section on EGfLincluding guidance templates and toolkits
- Termly briefings for clerks and chairs / vice chairs and opportunities for additional networking sessions
- Access to the central training programme for governors / trustees and clerks - online and face to face. Learning complimented by the ELP governor accreditation scheme
- Signposting to DfE programmes for governors / trustees and clerks
- Induction materials for new governors, chairs and clerks
- Annual governor / trustee recruitment event
- Access to annual discounted membership for The Key Leaders, The Key Governors, National Governance Association and GovernorHub (costs paid for by the school at discounted rates)
- Discount on governance conference
- Support in finding high quality trainers and reviewers for governance issues (cost to be paid by the school or purchased as part of traded service /PAYG).
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
All schools receive:
- Access to a secure online membership data base
- Check and make Instrument of Government (IOGs) for all maintained schools and federations of maintained schools
- Nominate local authority governors for all maintained schools
- Provide information and training suitable for all board members
- Set up temporary and shadow governing boards for new maintained schools
- Arrange parent governor representatives on local authority scrutiny committees dealing with education (carried out by the Council’s democratic services team)
- Support governing boards (GBs) of schools at risk or in a category including appointment of additional governors or interim executive board members.
Ealing Learning Partnership service, children and adults’ services.