School travel plans 2021/22
This service is available for Academies, Maintained schools and Other schools and settings
School travel plans deliver transport strategy that encourages participation in initiatives and campaigns, to support active travel and road safety education.
They help schools plan, promote and monitor active, responsible and safe travel for the school journey to reduce car use and congestion and improve air quality, health and well-being.
The main aim of the school travel team is to support schools to reduce car use and increase sustainable modes of travel for the school journey, leading to reduced congestion, improvements in air quality and the health and well-being of the Ealing community.
This is achieved through the delivery of a wide range of projects, provision of training and road safety engineering.
- Reduce congestion by encouraging people to leave their cars at home and travel to school by more sustainable means
- Improving the local environment by reducing carbon emissions and improving air quality
- Improve community links working together towards the common goal of making the journey to school a safer and healthier one
- Reduce obesity by being active on the school journey
- More alert children by increasing children's exercise in the morning helps them be more alert and ready to learn when they arrive at school
- Increase pupil’s sense of road safety through training programmes and participation in sustainable travel
- Increase pupil participation by encouraging them to take part and take responsibility for road safety within the school
- It’s fun! Surveys show that children want to travel by sustainable means. Walking, scooting and cycling are fun ways of travelling to school
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
- Increased levels of walking and cycling to/from schools to improve pupil health/reduce congestion through competitions, challenges and incentive schemes
- Development of resources to support schools in tackling school related congestion, parking problems and road safety issues
- More schools receiving and maintaining school travel plan accreditation (STARS)
To encourage Ealing schools to get involved in the school travel plan initiative we:
- Support schools in identifying and implementing useful sustainability and road safety initiatives
- Support schools to develop and implement a school travel plan, which outlines their commitment to improving sustainable travel options within their area
- Work with schools to identify student's issues related to travel and propose different routes and methods to get to school.
- Provide schools with resources to encourage students and staff to use safer, healthier and environmentally friendly ways to get to and from school
- Assist schools to improve sustainable transport and road safety within their local areas working closely with other services to promote healthy lifestyles and bring about behavioural change, which meets the requirements of Every Child Matters.
The range of initiatives and activities offered to schools includes:
- Workshops to develop robust school travel plans
- Bikeability-cycle training
- Active travel challenges and competitions
- Road safety materials
- Junior and Youth travel ambassadors scheme.
Our current progamme includes delivery of School Streets to targetted schools. These are schemes where the roads near a school are closed to traffic at school opening and closing times. Closing the roads to school and through traffic helps to achieve a safer, more pleasant environment for everyone using the streets whilst maintaining access for residents within the zone, and all pedestrians and cyclists.
Transport projects and policy, Growth and Regeneration