World environment day - 5 June
10 May 2017
This year the world environment day theme is "connecting people to nature".
To celebrate the day we are encouraging schools to take part in the OPAL air survey, which will enable students to:
- Investigate the air quality around their school and
- Learn about the range of things that can affect air quality.
How to take part
- Download the attached copy of the lichen field guide and teacher's activity guide (see downloads)
- Discuss with your pupils what lichens are, and how they link to air quality
- As a class, small groups, or individually, ask your students to investigate the type of lichens which are on the trees around your school (use the field guide to help you identify them)
- Look at your findings to discover if you have nitrogen-loving or nitrogen-sensitive lichens around your school. Use this to encourage a discussion around air quality, and how active travel can help to improve it
- Share your story on the STARS website under the world environment day activity.
To find out more about lichens or to submit your results so they are used by research scientists visit OPAL air survey.
If you use twitter please use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #WithNature to share your success!
Please note: You can take part in this activity any time between now and the end of the academic year!