Summer term Active Travel Challenge and competition
26 Apr 2019
The Active Travel Challenge will help you to encourage more children to walk, scoot and cycle to school, helping to increase physical activity, reduce congestion, improve air quality and support your STARS.
About the challenge
There are two elements:
- The challenge: walk, scoot or cycle to school for 10 days in May or June
- The competition: design a new bookmark for next year’s challenge.
To record children’s participation in the challenge bookmarks are available that can be stamped every day they walk, scoot or cycle to school. Terri the Tiger stickers can be handed out at the end of the challenge.
You can also organise inter-class challenges to see which class has the most active travellers. Or you could reward those children that complete their bookmark with a non-uniform day, golden time or house points. Whatever suits your school!
See downloads below for the competition design template, suggested text for school newsletters and how to run the challenge and competition in your school.
- A £10 Halfords voucher per Key Stage, for each school entering the competition. You send us the entries and we will send you the voucher(s)
- A £50 Halfords voucher for the overall winner
- A Mini-pod, scooter and cycle storage system, for the winner’s school.
You can promote the challenge in your school newsletter, see below for suggested text, or ask Junior Travel Ambassadors to organise an assembly to let everyone know.
Please contact the travel team (details below) if you haven't received your bookmarks and stickers.
Ealing school travel team