Rapid checklist for headteachers
Action will depend on the nature of the incident.
Ensure a full log is kept of all actions taken as they happen as well as information received.
- Ensure that all staff and pupils are in a place of safety and security
- Have emergency services been called?
- Inform the LA Children’s Service Designated Officer or, in his/her absence, one of the Schools Service Directorate Team. This should trigger Council Services (see section two)
- Ensure that all staff and pupils are accounted for
- Inform the Chair of Governors and other governors as soon as possible
- Set up a critical incident support team
- Seek urgent advice from Ealing Council Communications unit and arrange who will deal with the media, give interviews and prepare press statements
- Arrange how parents will be contacted
- Ensure that there are suitable phones available for outgoing calls e.g. exdirectory or mobile
- Decide if there is a need to contact community or religious leaders
- Decide if counselling support is needed
- Consider, as soon as possible, a schedule for recovery
- Ensure that there is constant and consistent communication with staff
- Consider arrangements for school meals
- Consider whether transport arrangements need to be altered
- If appropriate, determine the funeral arrangements and decide which staff and pupils will attend
Last updated: 01 Aug 2023