Single central record (SCR)
All schools must have a SCR of recruitment, as required by the Department for Education.
You must use it to log all pre-employment checks, including details of DBS (formerly known as CRB) checks.
You will need to update the record whenever new staff are recruited. Ofsted inspectors may ask to check the record.
Though schools must have a SCR they do not have to use our template. Whatever version they use schools must ensure they can demonstrate all the checks required in the latest version of Keeping Children Safe in Education
Model SCR (excel)
Template spreadsheet for record keeping.
Notes to accompany model SCR (pdf)
Guidance to assist in completion of template.
What information must be included?
The checks you should include are:
- Identity checks – checking guidelines can be found at Right to work checks: an employer's guide
- A barred list check
- An enhanced DBS check
- A prohibition from teaching check
- Further checks on people who have lived outside the UK
- A check of professional qualifications where required and
- A check to establish the persons right to work in the United Kingdom.