Single central record (SCR)
All schools should have an SCR of recruitment, as recommended by the Department for Education.
You should use it to log all safer recruitment checks, including details of DBS (formerly known as CRB) checks.
You will need to update the record whenever new staff are recruited. Ofsted inspectors may ask to check the record.
Model SCR (excel)
Template spreadsheet for record keeping.
Notes to accompany model SCR (pdf)
Guidance to assist in completion of template.
What information must be included?
The checks you should include are:
- Identity checks
- Qualification checks for positions which require specific qualifications (for example qualified teacher status or national professional qualification in headship)
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- DBS enhanced disclosure
- Further overseas criminal checks (where appropriate)
- ISA number (from November 2010).
Checks for the following people must be recorded:
- All staff who are employed to work in the school
- All staff who are employed on a supply or casual basis, whether employed directly by the school or through an agency
- All volunteers who have regular contact with children. This will include governors who work as volunteers
- People brought into the school to provide additional teaching or instruction for pupils but who are not staff members, for example specialist sports coaches or music teachers.
For further advice on safeguarding and the SCR go to Ofsted website:
Safeguarding children and SCR (Ofsted website)