Governors’ responsibilities regarding appraisals and pay
In order to help demonstrate their understanding of and effectiveness regarding teacher pay and appraisal governing bodies should ask and be clear about the answers to at least the following five questions:
1. How effectively are the staff appraised?
2. How effectively do we appraise the headteacher?
3. What should our pay policy say about performance and progression?
4. What is the correlation between appraisal outcomes, pay and the quality of teaching in our school?
5. How effective is appraisal as part of the process to support improvements/progress teaching and learning?
This paper gives a summary of the governing body responsibilities around pay and appraisal (pdf) and outlines some answers to these questions.