Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance
Advice for schools and childcare settings during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, including operating guidance and emergency contacts.
National lockdown: Stay at Home (GOV.UK)
Children of critical workers and vulnerable children who can access schools or educational settings (GOV.UK)
Schools and childcare settings: return in January 2021 (GOV.UK)
Update on school laptops and tablets allocations (GOV.UK)
DfE helpline: 0800 046 8687 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, weekends 10am to 4pm)
School operating guidance
Guidance for schools and early years providers during the pandemic.
- Asymptomatic testing in schools
- Early years providers
- Educational psychology
- Emergency contacts
- Facilities, buildings and cleaning
- Financial support
- Free school meals
- Home working
- Planning and risk assessment
- Protective measures and equipment
- Remote education
- School governance
- Symptoms and testing
- Vulnerable groups
- Wellbeing and mental health
Asymptomatic testing in schools update (news item 26 January)
Government lateral flow testing document package (Google Drive)
Virtual training for asymptomatic lateral flow testing in schools (news item 12 January)
Offer of short-term military support for schools Covid-19 testing (news item12 January)
Waste collectionsfrom lateral flow device test
If your school needs assistance securing testing waste collection services, please contact Laurence Field at FieldL@ealing.gov.uk
Test site job profiles
- Test site team leader job description (doc)
- Test site operative - processing operative rand results recorder job description (doc)
- Test site operative job description (doc)
Read the attendance guidance for schools.
Schools should be taking an attendance register and using the codes suggested on this page to record attendance and absence. All settings should submit daily attendance figures using the educational setting status form by midday every day.
During the pandemic, schools may have to deal with the death of a member of staff as a result of the coronavirus or for other reasons. Read about what you should do when an employee dies and use our letter template to correspond with the next of kin in these circumstances.
Early years providers
- Early years Q & A January 2021 (pdf)
- Actions for early years and childcare providers during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
- Managing the return to early years settings
- Managing cases of suspected or confirmed COVID-19 in early years settings
- COVID-19 Risk assessment for schools and childcare settings
Recovery, Re-introduction and Renewal: Safe and Successful Returns to School (a handbook by the Association of Educational Psychologists)
Emergency contacts and support
Local authority and Ealing Learning Partnership teams will do all they can to support schools. For urgent support, please refer to the emergency contact list. For other support requests, please contact Julie Lewis or Gary Redhead.
There are tactical groups in place to plan and communicate back to the emergency management response team to keep schools open and in relation to short and long term school recovery issues arising from COVID-19.
Facilities, buildings and cleaning
Utility checks and cleaning services
Fire and gas safety, water checks and companies who can provide cleaning services for schools.
Schools should follow government advice on cleaning and waste disposal in non-healthcare settings. Cleaning of non-healthcare settings guidance.
- Second window now open for schools and academies to claim for extra funding during the coronavirus (GOV.UK)
- New funding to support schools and colleges during Covid pandemic (DfE press release 27 November)
- Self-isolation payments (Ealing Council)
- School funding: exceptional costs associated with coronavirus (COVID-19) for the period from March to July 2020 (GOV.UK)
- Funding support for schools - guidance from DfE (GOV.UK)
- Closing of accounts and new year budget setting during COVID-19 (PDF)
DfE guidance on furloughing staff now takes into account the sums you receive from government free entitlement payments and other sources of income you receive, including parental fees. Refer to the coronavirus job retention scheme guidance sheet (pdf). The income percentage calculator (xlsx) can help you work out the percentage you can claim through the coronavirus job retention scheme.
Free school meals
Coronavirus (COVID-19): free school meals guidance (GOV.UK) - Latest update includes information on the support available to schools during the national lockdown beginning January 2021.
Free school meals during lockdown beginning January 2021 (news item 11 January)
Government has advised that they expect catering providers to support pupils eligible for benefits-related free school meals who have to be at home for reasons relating to coronavirus (COVID-19) by providing food parcels. There is no requirement to provide universal infant free school meals to infant pupils who are not in school.
Read more about free schools meals for pupils at home due to coronavirus related reasons (news 16 September).
ELP home learning recommendations and support (PDF) - includes videos and other resources.
Supporting your children's education during coronavirus (COVID-19) - Information, guidance and support for parents and carers of children who are learning at home. GOV.UK
Home working guidance
DSE workstation checklist (word)
Protect home workers (DSE) - Includes video on how to set up a workstation for temporary home working
Planning and risk assessment
- Risk assessment tool (choice of formats):
- Risk assessment tool (doc)
- Risk assessment tool (excel)
- Individual risk assessment and support plan template (doc)
- Addressing individual staff concerns
- Arrangements for the provision of children’s services from September
- Health improvement recovery curriculum
- Guidance for professionals working with parents to support children’s return to school (ppt)
- Supporting your child's return to school booklet (Ealing Familes directory)
- Coronavirus planning framework (doc)
- Schools partial opening checklist (doc)
- List of suppliers for cleaning products, protective equipment, non contact thermometers, social distancing signs and more.
- Ealing COVID-19 outbreak prevention and control plan (Ealing Council)
Protective measures and equipment
List of PPE suppliers including protective wear, social distancing signs, non-contact forehead thermometers.
COVID-19 safeguarding toolkit for school DSLs (doc) Updated 22 May
This is an updated resource to guide and support your DSL role in carrying out safeguarding duties both for children in school and those who are learning at home. It also provides contact details for professional support service.
Our advice is that whilst social distancing rules remain, boards should continue to adopt alternative arrangements for holding meetings.
Read the latest Ealing Governance update (21 January 2021)
Ealing sample agenda for full GB meeting during lockdown (doc) (11 January)
Wellbeing and workload guidance for governing boards December 2020 (EGfL login required)
Coronavirus job retention scheme (CJRS) /furlough scheme
- CJRS /furlough letter to schools January 2021 (pdf)
- Letter template confirming agreement to temporary furlough (word)
- Letter template confirming agreement to flexible furlough (word)
- Letter template confirming extension to temporary or flexible furlough (word)
- Furlough claim template (excel)
- How to complete furlough claim form (pdf)
Extension of furlough scheme (news item 9 November)
Staff attendance and absence (pdf) 8 January 2021
Staff absences - Coronavirus (news 26 March) - government advice on social distancing, particularly those who are at increased risk of severe illness.
The coronavirus job retention scheme is a government scheme under which an employer can furlough its employees if it needs them to stop work by reason of circumstances arising as a consequence of coronavirus (news updated 11 May).
Symptoms and testing
COVID-19 confirmed cases: Notification template (news item 16 November)
LCRC schools resource pack documents:
- On-site risk assesment checklist (doc)
- Inform and advise parent letter (doc)
- Letter for parents of contacts (doc)
- Template letter for contacting the LCRC (doc)
Back to school poster for parents/carers (pdf)
Highlights the importance of being in school with positive feedback from pupils, as well as key messages.
How schools can inform close contacts of a confirmed COVID-19 case
Includes template letter to parents of confirmed case of COVID-19
COVID-19 testing: Employer referral portal (news item 12 November)
Guidance for anyone who thinks they may have symptoms, please see: Stay at home: guidance for households with possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection For the Department of Health and Social Care, and Public Health England
How schools are working to overcome the challenges facing vulnerable groups of pupils during the pandemic:
Where schools have concerns including not have a designated safeguarding lead (DSL) they should contact ECIRS. Emergency contact list
Keeping in touch guidance for DSLs (word)
Please use this guidance to support members of staff keeping in touch by phone with parents of vulnerable children.
Guidance: keeping in touch calls for children with an EHCP (word)
To support members of staff keeping in touch by phone with parents of children with EHC plans.
Support your school's response if you have low attendance of vulnerable pupils:
- Ealing Safeguarding process to help increase attendance of vulnerable children during COVID-19
- Ealing Safeguarding guidance – Frequently asked questions COVID-19
Children and young people, social care
- Virtual child protection conference guidance effective 6 May 2020 - Social workers and child protection advisors (pdf)
Wellbeing and mental health
Wellbeing and mental health support for you, your colleagues and your family.