The teachers standards (GOV.UK website) consist of two parts:
- Part one: teachers' standards
- Part two: personal and professional conduct
The standards will apply to all teachers regardless of their career stage.
All teachers who have successfully completed induction will be assessed against the standards as part of the appraisal process.
In addition all trainee teachers will be assessed against the standards and all NQTs will be assessed (in a different context to trainee teachers) against the standards at the end of their induction.
The new standard for teachers’ development (GOV.UK) was released July 2016.
There are five parts to the standard, which the guidance states need to be acted upon together to ensure effective professional development:
- Professional development should have a focus on improving and evaluating pupil outcomes
- Professional development should be underpinned by robust evidence and expertise
- Professional development should include collaboration and expert challenge
- Professional development programmes should be sustained over time.
All this is underpinned by, and requires that:
5. Professional development must be prioritised by school leadership (including governors).
Upper pay spine
The criteria for teachers moving from the main to upper pay range is now detailed in the school teachers pay and conditions document (GOV.UK website).
In summary the teacher needs to demonstrate that they are is highly competent in all elements of the relevant teacher standards; and that their achievements and contribution to the school, are substantial and sustained - in our view this needs to be wider than their class/es demonstrating best practice in developing the quality of others’ teaching.
Teachers will be assessed as part of the appraisal process over a period of time to be decided by the school (see your school pay and/or appraisal policy).
Early years QTS
Teachers who started their training from September 2014 can now qualify as an Early Years teacher (with QTS). The standards they need to meet are the same as teachers with QTS in other primary or secondary phases. This does not apply to teachers who qualified before summer 2015.
For more details see early years teachers' standards (GOV.UK website)
For all other early years qualification please visit early years leadership and management page.