Early Career Teachers (ECT)
We are delighted that you have chosen Ealing to begin your teaching career.
Most of our schools are part of the Ealing Learning Partnership, a commitment and joint investment with the council to promote educational excellence and well-being for all learners through collaboration and innovation.
Induction at a glance
- All qualified teachers who are employed in a relevant school in England must, by law, complete an induction period. The length of the induction period, whether part-time or full-time ECT, is two school years.
- Induction combines a structured programme of development, support and professional dialogue, underpinned by the Early Career Framework, with monitoring and an assessment of performance against the Teachers’ Standards.
- ECTs are entitled to 10% reduced timetable in the first year and 5% in the second year for professional development.
- ECTs must complete an induction period satisfactorily as there is no repeat.
Support for ECTs and mentors in Ealing
- All ECTs must be registered with an Appropriate Body (AB) and the AB has the responsibility to monitor and support the ECT induction process.
- Currently Ealing Local Authority acts as the Appropriate Body (AB) and will continue to provide AB service until September 2024 for the cohort that commenced induction in September 2022.
- From September 2023, new regulations come into force, and the AB service will be offered by Teaching School Hubs (TSH). So, schools will be able to access AB services from a TSH that makes the most sense for their circumstances. Here is more information on Appropriate Body Services from September 2023.
- Our local TSH is Teach West London (TWL) and they will provide AB services from September 2023. For more information, please see TWL flier.
Working with two or more appropriate bodies
2023/24 is an unusual year and schools may feel a little overwhelmed working with two or more appropriate bodies. Ealing AB has produced guidance to support schools in managing working and engaging with two or more appropriate bodies. Here is the short guide on working with two or more ABs 2023/24 (pdf)
Who to contact
Ealing Appropriate Body
- Mirela Temo (ECT induction, EMA and RE adviser)
Tel: 020 8825 7986 or Mobile: 07957 637 118
- Ealing induction team - Technical support with ECT manager
Teach West London
- Lesley Mackenney (Head of Teach West London TSH / Appropriate Body Lead)
- Email: AB@teachwestlondon.org.uk
- TWL are also responsible for the delivery of a training programme based on Early Career Framework (ECF). They have partnered with UCL to deliver ECF training. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Cohort 2022 - 2024||Term start date||Term end date||Deadline for assessments||Type of assessment|
|Term 4||04/09/2023||21/12/2023||06/12/2023||Progress Review|
|Term 5||08/01/2023||28/03/2024||13/03/2024||Progress Review|
|Term 6||15/04/2024||25/07/2024||10/07/2024||Formal assessment|
ECT Induction briefing
- 20 September 2023 at 10:00 – 12:00 at Ealing Education Centre - Focusing on aspects of statutory induction and changes (Slightly different to the event on 28 June 2023).
- 21 September 2023 at 14:00 – 16:00 at Ealing Education Centre – This is a repeat of the session on 20 September 2023.
ECT induction tutors/ leads - Focus clinics
- Autumn Term - 16 November 2023 at 15:00 – 16:30 (online)
- Spring Term – 22 February 2024 at 15:00 – 16:30 (online)
- Summer Term - 12 June 2024 at 15:00 – 16:30 (online)
Useful links and resources
- Funding and eligibility for ECF-based training
- How to set up training for early career teachers
- How to manage early career teacher training
- Induction for early career teachers (England)
- Backfill payments for time off timetable for early career framework (ECF) mentor training (national roll-out)
- Statutory guidance induction for early career teachers