Newly qualified teachers (NQT) and Early Career Teacher (ECT) induction
We are delighted that you have chosen Ealing to begin your teaching career.
We are very proud of our schools as 92% of all Ealing’s children and young people are learning in good or outstanding schools.
Most of our schools are part of the Ealing Learning Partnership, a commitment and joint investment with the council to promote educational excellence and well-being for all learners through collaboration and innovation.
Induction at a glance
- All qualified teachers who are employed in a relevant school in England must, by law, complete an induction period of 1 year (currently) and 2 years from September 2021.
- Statutory induction is the bridge between initial teacher training and teaching career.
- NQTs are entitled to systematic professional and personal support which include support from a dedicated mentor, observation of NQT’s teaching, protected 10% NQT time for professional development, observing experienced teachers, frequent review of progress and assessment against Teachers Standards.
- NQTs must complete an induction period satisfactorily as there is no repeat.
- For more, please visit Statutory guidance on NQT inductions
Key people involved in NQT induction
- In schools this would be your headteacher / principal, governor, induction tutor / mentor and whole staff.
- Ealing Local Authority acts as the Appropriate Body (AB) and monitors and supports the NQT induction process. The quality assurance of statutory induction, through the role of the appropriate body (AB), is important both for ensuring that schools provide adequate support for their NQTs, and that their assessment is fair and consistent across all institutions.
- Mirela Temo (NQT and EMA adviser) is the named person at the appropriate body. Mirela provides support to schools on NQT induction statutory requirements and procedures, assessments and conducts the quality assurance of induction.
Appropriate Body guidance (log in required*):
- Supporting NQTs and ECTs (pdf)*
- Engaging and developing NQTs and ECTs during lockdown (pdf)*
- NQT Induction risk assessment (pdf)*
- NQT Induction COVID-19 guidance (pdf)*
- NQT induction from September 2020 (GOV.UK)
- Induction for NQTs during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak (GOV.UK)
It is your school’s responsibility to register you with the AB, complete and submit your assessments. Here are the key deadlines when your school is expected to register you and submit your assessment reports:
- Autumn term NQTs starting September 2020 - Deadline 5 Oct 2020
- Spring term NQTs starting January 2021 - Deadline 5 Feb 2021
- Summer term NQTs starting April 2021 - Deadline 5 May 2021
Deadlines for submitting assessment reports
Professional development opportunities
Book these events via Ealing CPD online www.ealingcpd.org.uk
Mirela Temo - NQT and Ethnic Minority Achievement Adviser
NQT induction statutory requirements and procedures, advice, assessments, quality assurance, concerns
Tel: 0208 825 7986 or Mobile: 07957 637 118
Ealing induction team - Technical support with NQT manager and administration (e.g. registration, amending records, guidance on using NQT Manager, other general queries)
Tel: 020 8825 5763