Statutory relationships and health education
On this page: resources, guidance and policy documents to support your school in preparing for statutory relationships and health education.
From September 2020, relationships and health education will become statutory in primary and special schools and relationships and sex education and health education will become statutory in high and special schools . The health improvement team are working with schools across the borough to prepare them for this curriculum change.
Below you will find resources, guidance and policy documents to support your school in preparing for statutory relationships and health education. If you have any questions or requite further guidance, please contact Claire Meade on firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful documents (EGfL login required):
- Guidance for primary and special schools (pdf)
- Guidance for high and special schools (pdf)
- Statutory RSE briefing (powerpoint)
- Sample parent letter (word)
- Final DfE guidance for relationships education, relationships and sex education and health education (pd)
- RSE primary schools guide for parents (pdf)
- RSE secondary schools guide for parents (pdf)
- Press release following final guidance (pdf)
- Sample RSE working party action plan 2019/20 (word)
Schools can find more information about the new guidance here:
- Parental engagement on relationships education - This provides information to primary schools on what is expected of them in terms of parental engagement on the forthcoming introduction of Relationships Education and why. It also provides advice, tips and case studies on effective parental engagement. This includes where to go for help and the important role governors can play in this process.
- Suggested timeline for schools - This is a suggested timeline for schools to follow to best prepare for statutory relationships, sex and health education
- Primary policy template - This is a sample policy schools can use to review their policy for relationships education ready for implementation in September 2020
- High policy template - This is a sample policy schools can use to review their policy for relationships and sex education ready for implementation in September 2020
- Sample staff survey - This sample survey can be used with staff to get a baseline of needs
- Sample parent survey - This sample survey can be used with parents to get a baseline. The survey should be sent with accompanying letter
- Sample parent workshop presentation - This is a sample parent workshop presentation schools can use to inform parents about RSE.
As more resources are developed this page will be updated. If you have any questions about RSE, please contact Claire on email@example.com