Windrush 75th celebration poetry and drawing competition
Celebrating the contributions and achievements of the Windrush generation and their descendants.
Schools in Ealing are invited to take part in a drawing and poetry competition focusing on the above theme.
The Windrush generation were instrumental in the rebuilding and development of post-war Britain. Not only did they work in the NHS, transport and manufacturing industries they also made the UK a more diverse and interesting place, through starting business, building new communities and achieving success in politics, television, film, music and sports.
The 75th Windrush anniversary is an opportunity for us to celebrate the rich contribution of the Windrush generation and their descendants to the culture, society and economy of the UK.
“The Windrush generation overcame prejudice to build new lives in Britain for themselves and their families. Their legacy is one of contribution, struggle and positive change for our society” Patrick Vernon, Windrush 75 Network
Windrush competition entry for Reception and Key Stage 1
Pupils are invited to draw a picture or create a poster that reflects the theme
Windrush competition entry for Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3
Pupils are invited to write a poem that addresses the theme.
- be written in English
- clearly address the theme
- use language to engage the reader
- leave a powerful impression on the reader
- be a maximum of one side of A4 in length
We want this to be an inclusive competition that all Ealing pupils can enter. We welcome entries from pupils attending our special schools in whatever format is most accessible, e.g. vocal reading of poems, poetry using symbols, drawings on an ipad/ tablet etc. Please contact us at EducationRaceEquality@ealing.gov.uk to discuss the best way to submit your entries.
A winner will be selected for each year group, and all winners will receive a £50 book voucher.
An overall winner will be selected for each Key Stage and those pupils will receive a £75 book voucher and the school will receive £200 towards books.
The winning drawings and poems will be collated into a commemorative Windrush 75 booklet. Winners of the poetry competition will be invited to participate in a Windrush video where they will be recorded reading their poems. The booklet and video will be made available to all Ealing schools.
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel including representatives from the council, ELP and schools.
Schools are asked to hold an internal competition and then submit the winning drawings and poems for consideration by the judging panel.
- Reception and Key Stage 1 – a maximum of one drawing or poster for each year group (Reception, Y1, Y2)
- Key Stage 2 – a maximum of one poem for each year group (Y3, Y4, Y5, Y6)
- Key Stage 3 – a maximum of one poem for each year group (Y7, Y8, Y9)
How to submit your entries
Entries should be submitted using the Windrush 75th artwork and poetry submission form (SurveyMonkey)
- Drawings, posters and poetry can be submitted as a PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPG, JPEG or GIF file
- Each entry should include the pupil's name, year group and school clearly visible on the front of the entry
- Parental permission for submission and publication of the drawings / poems should be obtained
The deadline for submitting entries is 5pm on Wednesday 14 June 2023.
If you have any questions about the competition please email EducationRaceEquality@ealing.gov.uk
- Education race equality: EducationRaceEquality@ealing.gov.uk