Clerks to the governing board
Information pack for clerk to governors including information on membership, administration and training information.
- Change of membership form (excel)
- Clerking action sheet (word)
- Governing board meeting feedback form (word)
- Meeting attendance monitoring form (word)
As of 1 September 2015, maintained school governing boards will be required to publish the register of interests form on their websites (Statutory guidance, The constitution of governing boards of maintained schools, March 2015). This is wider than just pecuniary interests.
Below are the National Governors Association (NGA) templates for you to use and adapt.
- Declaration of interests form (word) Individual governors to complete and review annually, clerk to be informed if cicumstances change.
- Register of interests form (word) should be completed by the clerk as a central record for the purposes of financial reporting. This template can then be used/adapted for publishing on the school website.
- Governor qualification and disqualification criteriaMarch 2017 (word)
- Governors monitoring form - to return to SWGD (word)
Guidance notes for agendas and minutes
For more information see the clerks information pack (part 2)
School Governance (Roles, Procedures and Allowances) (England) Regulations 2013 (legislation.gov)
Regulation 15 of the Roles, Procedures and Allowance Regulations provides that the governing board must make available for inspection, to any interested person, a copy of the agenda, signed minutes and reports or papers considered at the meeting as soon as is reasonably practical.
The governing board is obliged to make this information available upon request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (legislation.gov) unless any other of the specific exemptions in that Act apply:
Therefore, the governing board will only be able to withhold information that constitutes personal data or confidential information, in each case, within the meaning of the Freedom of Information Act.
For further information and guidance contact: School workforce and governance development team
Clerking of committees contacts: see clerk to committees
Visit becoming a clerk to the governing board section for role of the clerk.