Please note that the documents on this page are password protected and in word format unless otherwise stated.
The Ealing governor toolkit has been developed by the governance development team, other Ealing officers and governor associates, to provide support to Ealing school governing boards (GBs) and Ealing local authority (LA) officers/associates working with them.
As a council our vision for all schools is that they are well supported by good or outstanding GBs which, efficiently and effectively, carry out their three core functions as described in the Governance Handbook (January 2017) (GOV.UK).
The templates, information and guidance below have been designed to offer support and ideas which GBs can use and develop as appropriate to suit their own needs.
These documents should be adapted and used as appropriate as a result of gaining information, self-assessment, needs identification or to help with priorities.
Feedback on their content and use will be much appreciated. Other documents you think would provide additional support for GBs would be welcomed. Comments and documents can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recruitment, induction, succession
- Job description – school governor March 2017
- Job description – chair March 2017
- Job description - vice chair March 2017
- Code of practice/conduct September 2018
- What governing boards should expect from school leaders and what school leaders should expect from governing boards? (NGA website)
- New governor induction checklist March 2017
- Delegation of key governor roles (Michele Robbins)
- Governing board succession planning — summary September 2018
- National Co-coordinators of Governor Services (NCOGS) succession breeds success February 2017 (pdf)
GB structure and membership
- NGA skills audit for governors of single schools in line with DfE competency framework for governance.
- Governors of MATs should access the audit from the NGA website.
- Full governing board terms of reference March 2017
- Westminster Council standing orders template January 2016
- Annual governing board work planner (three committees) September 2018
- Governing board agendas
- Effective governing board minutes – how good are your minutes? March 2017
- Governing board minutes audit March 2017
- Governing board meetings health check
- Committee structures March 2017
- Committee terms of reference March 2017
- Terms of reference for curriculum committee March 2017
- Terms of reference for finance committee March 2017
- Terms of reference for personnel committee March 2017
- School Financial Value Standard (SFVS) - an overview
- DfE SFVS assessment form 2016
- Valuable lessons (pdf)
- Governing board NGA 20 questions (NGA website) March 2017
[Based on the All-Party Parliamentary Group’s “20 questions for school governing boards to ask themselves”] - replaces the GB self review based on 20 questions as questions have been now been updated by NGA.
- Individual governor review March 2017
- Chair of governors review
- DfE statutory policies and other documents governing boards are required to have by law September 2018