Checklist when choosing an alternative provision
Ofsted requires local authorities to report on children not in receipt of full-time education in the usual way. This includes the duty to monitor pupils placed by mainstream and special schools in off-site Alternative Provision. Full time education is generally accepted to be 18 - 25 hours a week in a maintained school.
Ealing schools are required to regularly confirm to the LA that they have robust arrangements in place to monitor and quality-assure any alternative provision placements made.
Checklist of factors which schools should consider when deciding an alternative provision is of a suitable quality and that appropriate and robust monitoring arrangements are in place:
- Is each provision on the Ealing AP list? (This does not replace a school’s duty to make its own checks regarding each Provision.)
- Is a recent ‘Good’ or ‘Outstanding’ Ofsted Report available where applicable?
- Is an institution which should be registered as an independent school (four or more students or one with a statement/EHC Plan on roll full time) registered and not operating illegally?
Checks to perform before placement
- Staff and volunteer record – Single central record of qualifications, recruitment and vetting checks
- Insurance certificates (see details below)
- Core risk assessments
- Admissions policy and procedures and register
- Attendance policy and procedures and register
- Health and safety policy
- Educational visits and outings policy and procedures
- Code of conduct and behaviour policy (to include drugs policy and anti-bullying policies)
- Data protection policy and procedures
- Equality information and objectives (public sector equality duty) statement for publication
- Child protection policy and procedures
- Statement of procedures for dealing with allegations of abuse against staff
- Sex and relationships education policy
- Complaints procedure statement.
Public liability insurance for a minimum of five million pound sterling (£5,000,000) in respect of any one act or occurrence or series of acts or occurrences in any one year.
Employer’s liability insurance for a minimum of ten million pound sterling (£10,000,000) in respect of any one act or occurrence or series of acts or occurrences in any one year.
Professional negligence insurance for a minimum of two million pound sterling (£2,000,000) in respect of any one act or occurrence or series of acts or occurrences in any one year.
The service provider and its personnel shall have in place motor vehicle insurance commensurate with the potential liabilities of the service provider relating to the operation of vehicles used for the transport of service user/s and their visitors.
Subcontractor liability – the service provider shall ensure that the same levels of insurance are maintained for any sub-contracted services.
The onus is on the Service Provider to ensure that its insurance policies are adequate at all times to cover eventualities pertaining to its business but the school also holds a responsibility to pupils placed there.
Quality of provision
- The commissioned course meets the educational and SEMH needs of each pupil
- The premises are fit for purpose
- Health and safety arrangements are of an appropriate standard
- Teaching and learning is of a high standard
- Suitable resources and teaching materials are available
- Behaviour management is strong
- Attendance recording and reporting are robust
- Tracking and reporting on progress is robust
- Suitable accreditation and other outcomes are on offer
- Due attention is paid to reintegration or progression to post-16 pathways.
Supporting documentation in place
- Service Level Agreement
- Education plan for each pupil or group of pupils
- Protocol for monitoring pupil progress and outcomes and quality of provision
- Review calendar for monitoring pupil progress and outcomes and quality of provision
- Formal agreement from the parent(s) for the arrangement
- Effective communication protocol.
- Teresa Knox, Ealing alternative provision (EAP): firstname.lastname@example.org 8825 7734