Early help assessment and plan (EHAP)
The EHAP is a process by which the needs of a child or young person are assessed and an action plan to meet those needs is agreed and progressed.
The aim of the process is the delivery of multi-agency, multi-disciplinary or targeted support as early as possible to tackle an emerging problem/issue before it becomes bigger, harder to address and affects the development or life chances of the child or children in the family.
The EHAP is only used when a multi-agency or targeted approach is necessary. Where one service can address the needs of the child successfully, an EHAP is not required.
For schools and other organisations that employ professionals from different services/sectors e.g. from the NHS, social care, mental health, education, etcetera – engaging the expertise of these professionals to support a child/young person and their family is an example of multi-agency and targeted support even though they may all work for the same school or organisation.
Family information service
The family information service (FIS) is the supporting service for EHAP use.
The FIS give EHAP advice, register EHAPS, and deliver training, supply copies of the EHAP pack which contains all the forms and guidance needed to use the process.
EHAP training aims to support professionals working with families to improve their understanding of the EHAP process in Ealing - offering children, young people and their families a simple route to multi-agency and targeted early help and support.
Online EHAP training dates
Training sessions are free and take place online with MS Teams. Select link for more details and to book a place via Ealing CPD online (Early years section):
- Thursday 17 June 2021 at 10am-12:30pm event code: EYC 21/125
- Tuesday 6 July 2021 at 10am-12:30 pm event code: EYC 21/126
- Tuesday 14 September 2021 at 10am-12:30 event code: EYC 21/127
- Wednesday 13 October 2021 at 10am-12:30 event code: EYC 21/128
- Tuesday 23 November 2021 at 10am-12:30 event code: EYC 21/129
- Wednesday 12 January 2022 at 10am-12:30 event code: EYC 21/130
- Thursday 10 March 2022 at 10am-12:30 event code: EYC 21/131
EHAP support service organisations
Below are a list of internal and external services that may support the family you are currently working with. These services can be integrated within your EHAP, as part of your action plan. If you are unable to find what you are looking for, or are aware of any other services you think should be listed here, please call us on the contact details below.
- Activities (pdf)
- Alcohol and substance misuse (pdf)
- Back to work support (pdf)
- Benefits and money management (pdf)
- Bereavement (pdf)
- Domestic violence (pdf)
- Ealing parenting service group (pdf)
- Gender identity (pdf)
- Grants (pdf)
- Housing support and advice (pdf)
- Mental health support (pdf)
- Relationship counselling and family mediation (pdf)
- School exclusion support (pdf)
- Young carers (pdf)
Family information service
Tel: 020 8825 5588
EHAP support team contacts (pdf)
How to start using EHAP (ealing.gov.uk)
EHAP registration process for professionals (pdf)
Interactive EHAP form 2018 (pdf)
Police officers linked to Ealing high schools (pdf)