Collective worship and determination
This page provides guidance and information regarding inclusive collective worship and information and procedure for applying for a determination.
The legislation (Education Reform Act 1988) requires that all maintained schools must provide ‘daily collective worship for all registered pupils’ that is ‘wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character’. Collective worship should include all pupils unless parents/guardians exercise their right of withdrawal.
For more information and guidance visit the following links:
- Circular 1/94
- Ealing SACRE collective worship guidance (pdf)
- Ealing SACRE collective worship a short guide (pdf)
- Arrangements for special schools, see point 10, part II Regulations 1994
- Right to withdraw from collective worship Circular 1/94 page 24 – 25.
- NATRE Guidance dealing with withdrawal from RE
- Assembly resources and DfE collective worship guidance
- School assemblies for every season for everyone, from SPCK
Where a headteacher considers that the requirement to provide worship that is wholly or predominately Christian could conflict with the requirement to provide worship that accords with the family backgrounds of pupils, schools can apply for a determination to lift or modify the requirement.
Before requesting a determination, a headteacher must consult the school’s governing board, who in turn may wish to seek the views of parents.
Maintained schools should apply to Ealing SACRE and academies should apply directly to the Department for Education (DfE).